THE NICHE OF A QUILTER, READER, PET LOVER, AND GARDNER

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Basting Quilt

I am finally back to quilting and it feels so good. I am going to baste a 54 inch Tom and Jane quilt top that I made last year. It's been patiently waiting for me staring at me every time I go into my fabric closet. I thought I had cotton batting but no luck so I will use polyester batting and I will have to piece it because I really hate to cut up a full or twin size batting just for a 54 inch quilt and I can't bring myself to throw good pieces of batting away either so I will piece the batting today. I have done that before and you can't even tell once the quilting is done. I'm quilting this one using a flannel backing and I had to piece that to because the flannel was 42 inches and the top is 52 inches wide. I will try quilting this with no frame since it is small but if it gets too hot I will definitely put it in a frame.
I have been gardening and found some beautiful dwarf dalias for my front yard. My hubby killed a climbing rose I had in the front that was about 13 years old. He put in some bone meal without watering it and now the leafs are all brown. I am so upset about that! I don't get it because I've never known him to kill any plants he's the one with the green thumb.

6 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh sorry about your rose bush. That looks like a great quilt. You've been busy. Have a great Thursday.

Ronda said...

What a lovely quilt that is. Oh how I wish I had time and talent like that.
Love & Prayers,
Ronda

GlorV1 said...

Estee, Lila Downs was just in Texas. In fact she said over the mike that they had just come from Texas and eaten some good burritos over there. She was awesome. She is beautiful with her throaty husky voice and mexican apparel. She had her hair down instead of braided. I like it better braided. AWESOME. Take care.

Teena in Toronto said...

That's amazing!

Happy blogoversary!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your quilts, Estee. Glad to have found you on the web as we have so many things in common - quilts, gardening, books and Houston!

keep on quilting,
Mariangeles

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

beautiful work ... mrs.B