THE NICHE OF A QUILTER, READER, PET LOVER, AND GARDNER

Monday, February 12, 2018

Restoring My Mother's Quilt

Some thirty years ago my mom made a quilt out from clothes I wore in junior high, high school, and when I was pregnant with my boys. It's not an artistic quilt it's just a very utilitarian quilt made out of squares she cut out of fabric from my old clothes. It also has some squares from some of her clothes. After being used and washed throughout the years it got some holes here and there and the backing became very thin and the batting was exposed. I finally decided to restore it so I cut out some squares from some clothes that my mom use to wear.  I made her new clothes every summer and boy did she look forward to that. After she died I kept some of her clothes with the intention of making a quilt. I am instead restoring this quilt. I didn't remove any squares I just sewed newer squares over the
squares that had holes and I put new thin batting on top of the very thin and torn batting and backing. I am now in the process of going over my moms quilting by hand. My mom didn't make tiny stitches so I'm not either.  It sure is a lot thicker and warmer and hopefully this quilt can last another 20 years.


Original Front

Old Backing
New Backing With Some Basting

Quilting after restoring
Can't do without these two thimbles.





No comments: